Saturday, December 31, 2016

Birdhouse

This fall I built a birdhouse for the north-side of the berm. It is close to a duplicate of a successful birdhouse in the backyard where many generations of house sparrows have been raised. I placed it about 7 feet up on top of one of the posts I had planted earlier in the year to protect the young trees from the mower. The long grass mower had run over about 5-10 trees in the early summer but some of them were coming back from the inadvertent coppicing. The posts did the trick of convincing the mower to not follow the path taken in the summer when remowing the area in the fall.

I took the above picture on the 7th and it has stayed cold and snowy all December. In the poplar trees on top of the berm were a bunch of crows making a racket as I was taking this picture. They were a small part of the large flock that heads East each evening back to their roost on the Rideau.

1 comment:

  1. All the best with your birdhouse - can't wait to see who moves in!

    It's been a strange winter so far. And those crows - I must go and visit them at their roost some day. : )

    Katherine (Urban Girl) now posting at www.wildhere.ca

    ReplyDelete